• MENU
White Background with Triangle Pattern

Federal and State Grants

State and federal grants are available for qualified students to help make college more affordable. We encourage you to look into these options early!


Federal Grants

The difference between a federal grant and a loan is that you do not pay back a grant.

The federal government currently funds two grant programs: the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). Students must complete a FAFSA to be considered for these awards.

The maximum Pell Grant in 2018-19 award year was $6,095. Federal Pell Grants are awarded based on financial need, costs to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and your plans to attend school for a full academic year

The FSEOG is given to students with exceptional need, defined as those with the lowest expected family contribution, and those who are also Federal Pell Grant recipients. The maximum awarded for 2018-19 school year was $1,000.

State Grants

Indiana residents who file a FAFSA are considered for the Frank O'Bannon Grant Program (including the Freedom of Choice and Twenty-first Century Scholars Program). The federal processor must receive the FAFSA before the April 15th deadline to be considered for Indiana state aid. Eligibility for these awards is dependent on financial need. Find out more from the Indiana Commission of Higher Education.

Also, check out our net price calculator to help you determine how to make a Rose-Hulman education affordable.

Melinda Middleton

Melinda Middleton

Melinda Middleton oversees Rose-Hulman’s Office of Financial Aid as the department’s director. She and the rest of the Financial Aid staff can help you make sense of the loans, grants and scholarships available. They take pride in helping our students find ways to make a Rose-Hulman education an affordable investment in their future.

Campus map

Contact Us

Office of Financial Aid
Hadley Hall 104
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
5500 Wabash Avenue
Terre Haute, Indiana 47803
Phone: 812-877-8672
Fax: 812-877-8838

Return to Top