8. Utility Outages
a. Employees will become aware of utility interruptions by the obvious absence of that particular utility.
- No Lights, Computers not working - Electric
- Toilets won't flush, drinking fountains not working - Water
- Inability to place outgoing telephone calls - Telephone
- No Heat - Steam or Gas
- No Air Conditioning - Electric or Chilled Water
- The Office of Public Safety should be notified. They will contact Facilities at (812)877-8693 or the On-Call Supervisor to report the problem and obtain any additional information.
- While a power interruption does not usually cause emergencies within a facility or injuries to its employees, hazards may be created by outages. The Office of Public Safety in conjunction with President and Chief Administrative Officer will determine the appropriate course of action. The Office of Public Safety and Institute's Cabinet should consider the following issues:
- Dangers from tripping and injuries due to lights being out.
- Person(s) trapped on elevators.
- Dangers from extreme heat or cold on employees.
- Inability to contact responders if an emergency occurs while telephones are out.
- Sanitation problems due to no water, etc.
- The President and Chief Administrative Officer will make a decision regarding the continuance of work in the buildings affected by the utility interruption. Any occupant who comes into contact with a student or visitor should direct them to take appropriate actions. Any occupant who comes into contact with a visitor or student who is physically disabled should assist those individuals.
- If laboratory research is underway during a utility interruption, the research should cease until the utility has been restored. Experiments, chemical processes and operating electric equipment should be stopped in a manner that would not cause additional problems.
- If anyone is trapped on an elevator, immediately call Facilities at (812) 877-8693, (after normal business hours call Public Safety at x8590) or if there is a medical emergency or danger to the health of those who are trapped, call Public Safety at x8590 immediately.