SEWANEE, TENN. -- The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology women's tennis team fell to nationally ranked Sewanee in the opening round of the NCAA Division III Tournament on Thursday.
The No. 18 ranked and host Tigers defeated Rose-Hulman by a 5-0 count in the match. Sewanee improved to 20-6 on the campaign.
Rose-Hulman completed the most successful season in school history with a 14-5 record, along with the first regular season and conference tournament championship in program history.
"Participating in the NCAA Tournament was a great accomplishment for the team. We had a nice battle today and kept several of the matches close. We made Sewanee work for this victory," said head coach Dan Hopkins.
Rose-Hulman earned its first conference regular season championship by defeating Franklin College 5-4 and Hanover College 8-1 on Sept. 25. The Fightin' Engineers then captured their first HCAC Tournament title with the victory over Transylvania last October.
Rose-Hulman's only losses against NCAA Division III foes this season occurred to No. 17 ranked DePauw, No. 18 ranked Sewanee, and No. 30 ranked Wheaton (Ill.).
SEWANEE 5, ROSE-HULMAN 0
1. Kate Strandford (SEWANEE) vs. Megan Chann (RHIT) unfinished
2. Jenny Liles (SEWANEE) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Michelle Flume (SEWANEE) vs. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) unfinished
4. Anne Gardland (SEWANEE) def. Paige Cook (RHIT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Julia Wood (SEWANEE) vs. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) unfinished
6. Lindsay Wilburn (SEWANEE) vs. Klara Schroederus (RHIT) unfinished
1. Kate Strandford/Jenny Liles (SEWANEE) def. Megan Chann/Marie Stettler 8-0
2. Michelle Flume/Anne Gardland (SEWANEE) def. Paige Cook/Melissa Montgomery 8-4
3. Laura Szyperski/Lindsay Wilburn (SEWANEE) def. Klara Schroederus/Lauren Reberger 8-1