SEWANEE, TENN. -- The Rose-Hulman Institute of
Technology women's tennis team fell to nationally ranked Sewanee in
the opening round of the NCAA Division III Tournament on
The No. 18 ranked and host Tigers defeated Rose-Hulman by a 5-0
count in the match. Sewanee improved to 20-6 on the
Rose-Hulman completed the most successful season in school
history with a 14-5 record, along with the first regular season and
conference tournament championship in program history.
"Participating in the NCAA Tournament was a great accomplishment
for the team. We had a nice battle today and kept several of
the matches close. We made Sewanee work for this victory,"
said head coach Dan Hopkins.
Rose-Hulman earned its first conference regular season
championship by defeating Franklin College 5-4 and Hanover College
8-1 on Sept. 25. The Fightin' Engineers then captured their
first HCAC Tournament title with the victory over Transylvania last
Rose-Hulman's only losses against NCAA Division III foes this
season occurred to No. 17 ranked DePauw, No. 18 ranked Sewanee, and
No. 30 ranked Wheaton (Ill.).
SEWANEE 5, ROSE-HULMAN 0
1. Kate Strandford (SEWANEE) vs. Megan Chann (RHIT)
2. Jenny Liles (SEWANEE) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Michelle Flume (SEWANEE) vs. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT)
4. Anne Gardland (SEWANEE) def. Paige Cook (RHIT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Julia Wood (SEWANEE) vs. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT)
6. Lindsay Wilburn (SEWANEE) vs. Klara Schroederus (RHIT)
1. Kate Strandford/Jenny Liles (SEWANEE) def. Megan
Chann/Marie Stettler 8-0
2. Michelle Flume/Anne Gardland (SEWANEE) def. Paige Cook/Melissa
3. Laura Szyperski/Lindsay Wilburn (SEWANEE) def. Klara
Schroederus/Lauren Reberger 8-1