TERRE HAUTE, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology improved to 9-7 on the season with a 7-2 victory over Manchester in Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference men's tennis action on Saturday afternoon.
With the victory, Rose-Hulman clinched a bid to next weekend's six-team HCAC Tournament at the West Indy Racquet Club.
Singles winners for the Engineers included senior Devon Fritz (Lakeside, Calif./West Hills) at the No. 2 spot, freshman Matthew Conrad (Anderson/Lapel) at No. 4; senior Eric Teeman (Gurnee, Ill./Warren Township) at No. 5. and freshman Erin Miller (Stamping Ground, Ky./Scott County) at No. 6.
Rose-Hulman also swept the three doubles matches to claim the victory. The No. 1 team included senior Ben Paras (Tucson, Ariz./Nordhoff) and Fritz; senior Nate Moore (Scottsdale, Ariz.) and Conrad won at No. 2; and Miller was joined by senior Randy Billingsley (Moline, Ill./Alleman) at the No. 3 spot.
Rose-Hulman improved to 5-3 in conference play and can secure another winning season and the No. 4 seed for next week's conference tournament with a win at Mount St. Joseph on Sunday.
ROSE-HULMAN 7, MANCHESTER 2
1. Kyle Lahman (MC) def. Ben Paras (RHIT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Bobby Swaby (MC) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Miro Arguijo (MC) def. Nate Moore (RHIT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Matthew Conrad (RHIT) def. Phil Truitt (MC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Eric Teeman (RHIT) def. Matt Buncich (MC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Erin Miller (RHIT) def. Alex Winger (MC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Ben Paras/Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Kyle Lahman/Bobby Swaby (MC) 8-3
2. Nate Moore/Matthew Conrad (RHIT) def. Miro Arguijo/Phil Truitt (MC) 8-1
3. Randy Billingsley/Erin Miller (RHIT) def. Alex Winger/Ryan Hawkins (MC) 8-2