OAKLAND CITY, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology earned its fourth men's tennis victory in as many days with a 5-4 win at Oakland City University on Thursday night.
Senior Stephan Lemmer (Haymarket, Va./Stonewall) provided the deciding victory. With the match score tied 4-4, Lemmer dropped the first set 6-2, before rallying to win 6-4 and 6-4 and lift Rose-Hulman to its fourth consecutive win.
Junior Ben Paras (Tucson, Ariz./Nordhoff) and junior Devon Fritz (Lakeside, Calif./West Hills) opened the singles effort with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Freshman Ray Montgomery (Terre Haute/South) won at the No. 6 singles position, in addition to the Lemmer victory at No. 5.
The No. 2 doubles team of junior Ian Stevenson (Stow, Mass./Nashoba) and Lemmer added the day's first victory.
Rose-Hulman improved to 4-4 on the season and hosts Defiance College in a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference matchup on Saturday.
ROSE-HULMAN 5, OAKLAND CITY 4
1. Ben Paras (RHIT) def. Tyler Scanlan (OAK-CITY) 7-5, 6-3
2. Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Kyle Shipman (OAK-CITY) 6-0, 6-3
3. Daniel Hall (OAK-CITY) def. Nathan Moore (RHIT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sergio Petre (OAK-CITY) def. Ian Stevenson (RHIT) 6-3, 7-5
5. Stephan Lemmer (RHIT) def. Dillion Gregory (OAK-CITY) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Ray Montgomery (RHIT) def. Derrick Reed (OAK-CITY) 6-1, 6-2
1. Tyler Scanlan/Kyle Shipman (OAK-CITY) def. Ben Paras/Devon Fritz (RHIT) 9-7
2. Stephan Lemmer/Ian Stevenson (RHIT) def. Daniel Hall/Sergio Petre (OAK-CITY) 8-6
3. Dillion Gregory/Derrick Reed (OAK-CITY) def. Randy Billingsley/Nathan Moore (RHIT) 9-8 (7-3)