What is the
This project is being done to provide off-the-shelf
assistance to college physics instructors in several areas:
- Using symbolic algebra programs
and / or spreadsheets throughout the physics
curriculum. Building or maintaining student
skills with these tools, to provide more insight
about physics problems.
- Having the classroom become
a more 'active' learning environment
a packet contain?
- A number of worked-out example problems or calculations
in Maple, Mathematica or spreadsheet.
Some are very simple, meant to build confidence
with the package. Some are advanced, showing the power and versatility
of the package, capable of providing insight to the student.
- Executable Maple and Mathematica and spreadsheet files - download all
files in a given packet
- Maple file text and input lines - easy to read , search. Can download
individual Maple files on the spot.
- Comments and elaboration on prolems.
- Suggetions for classroom activites which will actively
- For advanced courses, some suggestions are presented
utilizing materials from the CUPS project
(Consortium for Upper-Level Physics Software).
can you benefit from this project?
- You can find resources of interest and download
them. Downloading may consist of
- clicking to get auto-unzipping files for Maple, Mathematica,
- clicking to get zipped files for the Mac
- downloading individual Maple files via 'Save File' .
(Later, launch Maple to run worksheet.)
- clicking to get DOS applications which are in some packets
- printing relevant packet
web pages at your home site
- copying the web source code
and then editing it at your home site
- You can send suggestions and
comments and ask questions
by clicking on the email site. This will automatically bring up and address
an email window. You add the subject and your comments and send it off.
We are likely to be able to help on questions about Maple, and spreadsheets,
but not so likely to help with Mathematica questions.
- Perry Peters
- Greg Williby
- Paul Mason
- Art Western
- Charles Joenathan
- Dan Hatten
- Michael McInerney
- Sudipa Kirtley
- Granvil C. Kyker, Jr.
- Bill Bassichis
in the construction of these web pages
- Netscape Gold 3.0
- GIF Construction 95
- Snap 32
National Science Foundation
Grant - DUE 9455442
to Packets Project Main Page