Software Installation via SCCM
In Some software is distributed via tilizing Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM. In addition to software distribution SCCM offers update services, software installation based on required configurations and/or group membership, and asset management. The SCCM client is installed on all computers that are members of the Rose-Hulman Windows domain. Note that all computers installed or imaged by IAIT are added to the domain, so the only way a system would not be on the domain is if an individual intentionally removed it.
The first applications made available via SSSM were Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus. Personal and home use installation required the purchase of the Microsoft Office 2010 media from the Rose-Hulman Bookstore.
- Click Start->Settings->Control Panel to open the Control Panel
- Double-click on the Run Advertised Programs icon
- The Run Advertised Programs dialog will open. If there are new programs available they will be listed in the What's New category. Note that this is the same dialog box opened when you double-click the SMS client notification shown in the System Tray. If no new applications are available a list of installed applications will be displayed along with the date, time and status of the last run of the installation programs.
- Double-click an available application or select it and click Run to begin the installation process.
- Follow the installation instructions for the application, if available, or respond appropriately to the prompts and instructions from the application's installer.
Software Installation via \\rose-hulman.edu\dfs\Software
Most software for Rose-Hulman students, faculty, and staff is available on DFS. Access to the various software titles are controlled by ACLs (access control lists) based on the license agreement with the supplier.
To connect to DFS Software click Start->Run, type \\rose-hulman.edu\dfs\Software and click OK
Software on DFS is organized into several categories:
- Common and Utility software is located in the Software/Apps directory
- Academic applications are located in the Software/Course Software directory
- Unsupported and freely available software is located in the Software/Unsupported Apps directory
- Some updates to Microsoft products such as Windows and Office are located in the Software/Microsoft Updates directory
- iPAQ related files are located in the public/Mobility directory
Instructions for installing most software can be found on the TSC website from the Software Documentation page. The Installation Instructions file in most directories will open instructions for that software. If there is no Installation Instructions file, check for a file titled readme.txt or instructions.txt. If you have questions or problems relating to installing any of the software on DFS Software, please contact the IAIT Help Desk.
Microsoft Windows 7 is not available on DFS due to our license agreement. IAIT can install Windows 7 on institute machines and laptops. If you wish to purchase a copy of the media, Windows 7 can be purchased at the Bookstore.
Other Microsoft titles, including Office 2010 and Visual Studio .NET are also available for purchase from the Bookstore at a considerable discount.