Transfer Credit is credit earned by enrollment in, and successful completion of, a course at another institution; this credit is then applied toward graduation requirements at Rose-Hulman. The limitations below apply to all students who are transferring credit - both Transfer Students and Rose-Hulman students who wish to take a course at another institution. Seniors who plan to transfer credits to Rose-Hulman after their last term in residence should be aware of special limitations that apply in addition to the ones listed below. See also, Summer Completion.
For the procedure used to evaluate credits transferred by students entering Rose-Hulman, see Transfer Student.
Current or prospective students should submit course(s) for transfer credit approval, by the appropriate department chair, by completing the "Transfer Credit Evaluation" area in Banner Web (located on the ‘Main’ tab in Banner Web). It is recommended that current students do this prior to taking the course(s) to ensure they will be approved for transfer course equivalents needed.
Back to Rules & Procedures.
- Transfer Credit is accepted only from accredited colleges and universities.
- The grade earned for a course taken at another institution must be equivalent to a grade of "C" or better.
- Transfer Credit will not be granted for a course taken on a Pass/Fail basis.
- Normally courses taken by correspondence, online, or as a video course are not accepted. In cases where it is accepted, full documentation of the course will be required and a personal interview with the Department Head may be required.
- Grades earned in Transfer Credit courses are not recorded on the student's Rose-Hulman permanent record and are not averaged into the cumulative GPA.
- A student who plans to take a course elsewhere and transfer the credit to Rose-Hulman must have the approval of the head of the department in which that course normally would be offered or which is most nearly related. The student should seek this approval prior to enrolling in the course.
- In the case of a student who is suspended from Rose-Hulman, the Rules and Discipline Committee may stipulate that the Institute will not accept Transfer Credit earned by the student at another school during the period of suspension. For more information in these circumstances, see Discipline & Suspension.