Ways to Give

Gifts of cash

Gifts can be designated to the Fund for Rose-Hulman, for financial aid or to a department of your choice, and are considered tax deductible contributions by the IRS. You can make a donation online through a secure online transaction or via cash or check delivered to our office.

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

Make your gift to Rose-Hulman without ever writing a check through a safe and secure Electronic Funds Transfer. You can choose to use your personal checking or savings account.

Please contact the Office of Development at 812-877-8217 or annualgiving[at]rose-hulman[dot]edu. You may also mail this completed form to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Office of Development, 5500 Wabash Avenue, Terre Haute, IN 47803.

Gifts of publicly-traded securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds)

Stock, bonds, real estate and other assets that have been held for at least one year and one day are accepted by Rose-Hulman as charitable contributions. For donors 59 and a half or older, gifts of retirement accounts can also be used as a charitable vehicle. Life insurance policies are also accepted by Rose-Hulman as gifts.

Matching gifts

More than 1,300 companies sponsor matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions made by their employees. If you or your spouse work for a matching gift company (find out here), please request a matching gift form from the personnel office or download it from the company website. Complete the form, sign it and send it with your gift. The impact of your gift to Rose-Hulman may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies will even match gifts made by retirees or directors.

Gifts of endowment

Earnings from an endowed gift provide an annual revenue stream that supports the school or the area identified. Because only the earnings are spent, an endowment gift benefits Rose-Hulman forever. The following summary lists some of the most common types of endowment gifts along with the minimum dollar amount needed for each:

  • Endowed Scholarship Funds - $50,000 
  • Endowed Chairs and Professorship - From $1 million to $2 million 
  • Endowed Laboratory and Equipment Fund - $50,000

Gifts in memoriam

If you are considering a memorial gift please contact our office before making an announcement in the newspaper or at a memorial service.

Gifts of real estate

Gifts of real estate can include principal or vacation homes, farms, commercial property, or land. Tangible property can include works of art, letters, equipment and other tangible goods. The Development Office is able to work with you and your financial planner to determine how such gifts can fit into your estate planning. All gifts of real estate require prior approval by the Institute.

Gifts of equipment

Gifts of equipment can include laboratory equipment, appropriate chemicals, supplies, materials, and hardware and software.

Gifts of capital

Capital projects are always on the horizon as Rose-Hulman continues to grow and expand. Contact our office to learn what projects are currently being considered or planned for.

Gifts of art, antiques and other collectibles

The gift should be accompanied by a "Deed of Gift" stating the donor's name, a description of the property and an estimate of its value. Gifts of this type are subject to review by the Art Committee and Rose-Hulman's Art Curator.

Planned, deferred and estate gifts

Alumni, parents and friends should consider including Rose-Hulman in your estate plans. View a list of additional life income and deferred gift instruments you may use in creating your permanent legacy.

Many of your gifts are eligible for tax deductions or credits. Our office can answer those questions when you contact them to arrange your gift. Thank you for considering a gift to Rose-Hulman.

For more information contact the Development Office, phone: 812-877-8453