Some of my academic work
- [January 2009] The following paper entitled Evolution of an International
Collaborative Student Project was presentated at the ACE 2009
conference in Wellington, New Zealand and published in the
conference proceedings. I am one of four authors. The paper received a
"Best Paper" award.
- [May 2008] The following paper entitled From Foundations to Current Work in a One
Quarter Course on Artificial Intelligence was published in the
Proceedings fo the 21st
International FLAIRS Conference which took place in Coconut
Grove, FL. Here is the presentation I
- [April 2006] The following paper entitled A
Theorem Prover for a Diagrammatic Blocks World was published in
the Proceedings of the 2006 Midwest
Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference which
took place at Valparaiso University. Here is the presentation I gave.
- [August 2005] The following paper entitled Search and Inference with Diagrams
was published in the Proceedings of the The
Ninth IASTED International Conference on
INTERNET & MULTIMEDIA SYSTEMS & APPLICATIONS which took
place in Honolulu, HI. Here is the presentation I gave.
- [October 2004] The following paper entitled Living in a Transparent Future: Search in a Wired
World was published in the Proceedings of the WWW@10 conference which
took place in Terre Haute, IN. Here is the presentation I gave.
- [September 2004] Robert Signorelli ('02), Chris Barell ('03), and
I published our Zero-Click
shopping invention. Here is the full abstract. Contact me, if you
want to know more.
- [May 2004] Peter Nei ('03), Chris Barell ('03), and I had the
following paper A Diagrammatic
Inference System for the Web published in the Alternate Track
Papers and Posters Proceedings of the Thirteenth International World
Wide Web Conference, which was held in NYC. We did this work while
Peter and Chris were students at Rose-Hulman. I presented the
following poster at the conference.
- [April 2003] Robert Signorelli ('02), a student working on a senior
thesis with me, and myself gave the following presentation Towards a General-Purpose Search
Engine at the prestigious 2003 Search Engine Meeting in
- [February 2003] A paper of mine, entitled: An XML-Based Syllabus Editor and
Search Engine that is published in the Proceedings of the Stop
Surfing - Start Teaching 2003 National Conference to be held in
Las Vegas, NV. The powerpoint
presentation that I gave at the conference.
- [November 2002] A short work-in-progress report presented at
the FIE 2002 conference in Boston. This is work in which I
participated as part of an NSF grant for preparing a case study for teaching inclusive design in an
undergraduate engineering school. The powerpoint
presentation that goes with the paper on inclusive design was
prepared and presented by Madeleine Rothberg with some assistance from
the rest of us. Among others, it contains information on how one would
use the case study in mechanical engineering or in computer science.
- [October 2002] ELearn 2002 paper on XML Based Course Websites. The ELearn 2002 powerpoint presentation that I
gave at the conference. The XML course
description search engine that is mentioned in the paper. You need
>IE5.5 in order to view the XML documents as we use XSL stylesheets to
render them. The XML
course description editor that was mentioned in the paper. Our
course descriptions begin with CSSE. You need >IE5.5 in order to view
the XML documents as we use XSL stylesheets to render them.
- [October 2001] FIE 2001 paper entitled
An Undergraduate Research Course Aimed at Furthering the Web. The
FIE 2001 powerpoint presentation that I gave
at the conference.