Recycling is key at Rose-Hulman
Facilities Operations encourages students, faculty and staff to recycle on a regular basis. Classrooms, offices and commons areas throughout campus are provided with recycle containers.
We are part of a recycling coalition administered by Indiana State University. Their recycling center processes the "raw materials" brought to their location for all Recycling Coalition members: Rose-Hulman, Indiana State University, Vigo County School Corporation, Pfizer, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Sisters of Providence, City of Terre Haute, Vigo County Public Library, Ivy Tech Community College, Hamilton Center and Union Hospital Health Group.
What we recycle
- Aluminum cans - no foil wraps or aerosol cans
- Corrugated cardboard - boxes must be empty and broken down
- Hardcover books - separate from other paper; call for special instructions if you have a large number of books
- Office pack (mixed paper) - white, color, computer and construction paper; brochures, flyers and magazines
- Phonebooks - separate from other paper
- Plastics #1 through #7 - no Styrofoam, peanuts or plastic wrap; the recycle symbol with a number inside must be located on the container
- Electronics (E-waste) - computers, monitors, batteries, etc. Contact Mike Taylor for clarification.
What we DON'T recycle
- Glass, peanut packaging, Styrofoam
- Plastic wrap, bags, straws
- Aluminum foil, aerosol cans
- Paper towels, tissues, wax paper, waxed food cartons
Where and how to recycle
Campus-wide Recycling - Stations found within buildings
- Place paper, aluminum cans, and plastics directly into the appropriate containers.
- Please remove caps and empty beverage containers, if possible.
- Phonebooks and hardcover books must be separately bagged from all other paper and placed near the recycling containers.
- Cardboard boxes may also be placed near the containers at recycling stations.
Faculty and Staff Personal Recycling - 95-gallon totes located behind Logan Library, NE back entrance to Moench Hall, behind Hatfield Hall, west side of Facilities Building, and north side of Olin Hall
- All items MUST be bagged PRIOR to being put into the totes. Please tie or secure bags. You may use plastic bags to secure your recyclables.
- Only one type of recyclable per bag. Example: one bag of only cans, another bag of office pack paper, and a third bag with only plastic.
- Phonebooks and hardcover books must be bagged separately. Once bagged, they can be set by the totes or put in the "newsprint" or "other paper" tote.
- Place bagged recyclables in appropriate totes.
- Place empty corrugated boxes by the totes.
- DO NOT overfill bags. If you cannot easily life it, neither can we! Overfull bags tend to tear, which makes it harder to collect and recycle the items.
If you have items to recycle that we do not accept in our totes, you might check with other organizations in the Wabash Valley that offer recycling services:
Data Management Services
4000 N. Steelton Avenue
Terre Haute, IN 47805
All grades of paper
ISU Recycling Center
447 N. Ninth Street
Terre Haute, IN 47809
Paper, plastics, glass, cardboard, and others
Goodman & Wolfe
1350 College Avenue
Terre Haute, IN 47802
1439 Ash Street
Terre Haute, IN 47804
Aluminum and metals
2702 S. Third Street
Terre Haute, IN 47802
2399 S. State Road 46
Terre Haute, IN 47803
To find other recycling centers visit Indiana Earth911.
If you have any questions concerning Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology's Recycling Program, please contact Susan Reynolds, (812) 877-8233.