Chi Omega was founded on April 5, 1895, at the University of Arkansas by four young undergraduates with the assistance of a friend who was a Regent of the University. From that simple beginning until the present time, Chi Omega has grown and become the largest women's fraternity with over 170 chapters, approximately 300,000 initiated members and over 235 alumnae chapters nationwide. Chi Omega was the first sorority to be founded on the Rose-Hulman campus. In the fall of 1995, eight women found the need for a sorority on campus. By the spring of 1996, the Gamma Lambda chapter of Chi Omegas was founded with twenty-seven sisters. Six purposes guide the Chi Omega fraternity. They are friendship, community service, high standards of personnel, scholarship, participation in campus activities, and career development. Chi Omega has a strong presence in Greek competitions, campus organizations, athletics, and service to the campus and community.