Rose-Hulman vehicle registration
All community members who own, possess, operate, or have use of a motor vehicle on any property owned, leased, or used by Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology must register their vehicle with the Office of Public Safety. Any motorized vehicle must properly display a valid permit permanently attached to the vehicle as described by traffic regulations.
Students are required to register vehicles no later than the first Monday after classes begin each academic year. Employees must register immediately on employment. A change in vehicle status must be recorded in the Office of Public Safety within 72 hours.
Register your vehicle
Faculty and Staff
Vehicle registration regulations
Section A: All community members who own, possess, operate or have use of a motor vehicle on any property on any property owned, leased or used by Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology must register the vehicle in the Office of Public Safety. Any motorized vehicle must properly display a valid permit permanently attached to the vehicle as described by traffic regulations. Students are required to register vehicles no later than the first Monday after classes begin each academic year. Employees must register immediately on employment. A change in vehicle status must be recorded in the Office of Public Safety within 72 hours.
- Students of Sister Universities - Any Student enrolled in any other University while attending classes as a Student at Rose-Hulman must register in the Office of Public Safety. (i.e., R.O.T.C. Students enrolled at I.S.U. and Rose-Hulman) A Rose-Hulman Student may not register a motor vehicle that is owned or operated primarily by a Student of another University.
- Student Spouse - a vehicle owned by a Student spouse, however, operated by a Student enrolled in classes at Rose-Hulman must be registered.
- Rose-Hulman Guest - all guests operating a motor vehicle on campus must register the vehicle in the office of Public Safety. A guest may not park in Visitor Reserved areas in excess of 24 hours on any given weekday or 72 hours on any weekend. A residence hall guest must have prior approval of the Dean of Student Affairs. Responsibility lies with the acting guest host to temporarily register the vehicle of any guest in the Office of Public Safety. Please educate any guest on the importance of Fire Lane Safety and other No Parking Areas to avoid while on campus.
Section C: Types of Registration
Par. 1 - Commuter - A student residing in off campus housing.
Par. 2 - Resident - A student residing on campus. A resident student lot is considered stored a stored vehicle lot.
- Student shall include all undergraduates, graduates, graduate assistants and all others not titled Faculty-Staff.
- A Faculty-Staff permit may not be issued to a student. Enrollment as a student is the disqualifying factor.
Par. 3 - Misrepresentation of information to falsely obtain a permit the applicant is not qualified for is a serious violation.
Par. 4 - Construction Temporary Permits - Construction management will be responsible for the registration of construction personnel in the Office of Public Safety, for the duration of any project.
Par. 5 - Temporary Permits General - Any vehicle to be operated any limited period of time must be registered with Public Safety.
Section D: Display of Registration Decals
Par. 1 - Permit Expiration - Permits issued for the school year expire at 12:00 a.m., August 31st, of each year.
Par. 2 - Permit Attachment - The permit decal is prepared with a surface adhesive, and must be fastened to the lower left corner of the front windshield by the adhesive and entire face of the decal.
Par. 3 - Damaged or Worn Permits - When defaced or removed must be replaced immediately by the vehicle registrant. Replacement permits are free. Please return remnants of the old one to Public Safety.
Par. 4 - Visitors Temporary Permits - are available in the Office of Public Safety. The permit shall be attached to the interior driver's side, lower left corner, of the windshield near the steering wheel.
Par. 5 - Motorcycles, Motorbikes, and Scooters - and/or all other vehicles with no rear window or windshield will attach the permit to the vehicle frame.
Par. 6 - A Vehicle Registrant Is Responsible for Reporting any change in vehicle status to the Office of Public Safety promptly.
Par. 7 - Individuals Declared As Vehicle Registrant Will Be Held Accountable for accidents, damage, traffic violations or other offenses involving a vehicle whether incurred by a registrant or other operator. Responsibility for educating any other vehicle operator lies with the registrant.