The business auto policy for Rose-Hulman covers its employees and/or students who are authorized to use a rental or Rose-Hulman vehicle while conducting business for the institute. The Institution’s vehicles are considered to be 100% (percent) for business use. All Rose-Hulman employees that drive, or wish to drive, Institute owned or rental vehicles, when rented in Rose-Hulman’s name, are required to poses a current US driver’s license and have a driving history that meets our carrier’s guidelines. The driver must be listed on the Rose-Hulman Authorized Operator list in order to be covered by our auto liability carrier.
How to Become an Authorized Driver/Operator
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology has established standards which permits only those applicants with an MVR that meets our insurance carrier’s guidelines be approved to drive Rose-Hulman and rental vehicles for work related business. All individuals listed on the Authorized Operator list are approved to drive Rose-Hulman owned and non-owned (rental) vehicles. This requirement applies to class projects, academic related trips, and etc...
Once a completed faculty/staff or student employee form is returned to Risk Management, a motor vehicle report will be obtained. If an MVR comes back that is considered by standards established by our carrier to be an at-risk driver, the individual will be restricted from driving Institute owned and non-owned vehicles until further notice.
MVR’s are processed at random by our carrier, and/or Rose-Hulman, from names obtained on our Authorized Operator list. Rose-Hulman performs updated MVR requests on faculty/staff every three (3) years. If an employee on the Approved Operators list should incur a moving violation/citation, it is the employee’s responsibility to notify Risk Management of such as soon as possible. An employee’s driving privileges can be revoked for failure to report such violations/citations.
Faculty/Staff-In order to be listed as an Authorized Operator, the individual must complete a Motor Vehicle Background form and hold a current U.S. driver’s license (not a permit) for a minimum of two years. Return this completed form to Risk Management.
Registered Student Employee-Institute vehicles may not be driven by a student unless he/she is doing so as a requirement of their Rose-Hulman student employment. If student employment requires that a student be listed as an Authorized Student Operator, the department and the student should complete the Student Motor Vehicle Background form. The student must hold a current U.S driver’s license, not a permit, for a minimum of 2 years. This form requires an approval signature from the supervising department. Please return the completed form to Risk Management. Students are not permitted to transport others in Rose-Hulman vehicles, please see “Vehicle Use by Registered Students” below.
Students must complete a new MVR report at the start of each school year in order to remain on the Student Authorized Driver list. The Approved Student Operator list does not carry over from year to year.
Use of Rose-Hulman Vehicles/Bus
BACK TO TOP
Use of Rose-Hulman vehicles by Faculty/Staff-Only employees listed on the Authorized Operator list are permitted to operate Rose-Hulman vehicles for business related purposes. Use of Rose-Hulman vehicles for personal use is prohibited.
Rose-Hulman strongly suggests that employees not use their personal vehicles to transport students. When an employee uses their personal vehicle, their personal automobile insurance is primary coverage. If in an accident, all damage, deductible and injuries related to the incident are the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle and their personal insurance. Rose-Hulman does not assume financial responsibility. (See Use of Personal Vehicles below)
Procedure for Bus Use
- Rose-Hulman buses can only be used for Rose-Hulman related and approved functions/activities. (Ex: Rose-Hulman sponsoring an outside group is not an Rose-Hulman activity). Buses cannot be used for club activities. The activity must be directly related to Rose-Hulman and consist exclusively of Rose-Hulman students, faculty, or staff unless prior approval has been granted by the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management. The operator must complete the following steps in order to be approved:
- Obtain an Authorized Operator form, which can be obtained online, and submit the completed form to the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management PRIOR to attending the Bus Driver education program.
- All operators must meet Rose-Hulman carrier’s guidelines and be listed on both the Approved Bus and Authorized Operator lists.
- All Bus operators must successfully pass the RHIT administered classroom/hands-on driver’s education course in order to be listed on the Approved Bus Operator list. This program will be administered quarterly-PLEASE PLAN AHEAD!!
- Rose-Hulman buses cannot be driven by students, student employees (other than Grad Assistants), or any operator under the age of 23.
- Athletics will submit their request for bus use prior to Sept 15 (this date may change per year). After Sept 15, buses will be available for RHIT related and approved activities on days not already reserved by Athletics. NOTE: If Athletics has an unexpected need for a bus, they will be given priority, even if a bus has already been reserved for others!
- Driving Distance:
- Trip destinations less than 300 miles from campus will not require a second authorized driver. It is suggested that the authorized operator take routine breaks.
- Trip destinations more than 300 miles from campus but less than 600 miles will require a second authorized driver. Trips in excess of 480 miles (one way) from campus will require an overnight stay.
- Trip destinations in excess of 600 miles from campus must use a Chartered Service-overnight stay not required.
- Passengers in the bus, other than Approved Bus Operator/s, will be limited to current students, faculty, and staff. Guest passengers are discouraged. In the event a Guest Passenger is permitted, a Guest Passenger waiver must be completed and submitted to the Bus Driver. The bus operator is responsible for verifying that such forms have been completed and submitting those forms to the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management at the completion of the approved trip. No form-no ride-no exceptions!
- Holding a current CDL license does not exempt a person from the Rose-Hulman administered classroom/driving program. Current CDL documentation must be provided to the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management, prior to signing up for the program.
- Completion of this program does not permit an Approved Bus/Vehicle operator to rent any 11 through 15 passenger van/bus for Rose-Hulman business use. Such vehicles are prohibited.
- The current IRS standard mileage rate will be used for Rose-Hulman vehicles.
- Keys will not be released until a completed “Vehicle Use” form is signed by the designated operator and returned to Facilities.
If in an accident while in a Rose-Hulman vehicle, follow the procedures as outlined within the insurance packet located in the glove box of the vehicle and as noted below under “How to Report an Accident”.
Vehicle Use by Registered Student Employee
- Rose-Hulman restricts the use of Rose-Hulman vehicles by student employees. If a student employee needs to drive an Institute owned vehicle and faculty/staff are not present, distance must be less than 100 miles from campus one-way, must not require an overnight stay, and such activity must be required of their employment at Rose-Hulman. Hours of use cannot exceed 6 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- When an Rose-Hulman student employee is approved to transport other Rose-Hulman students that are not student employees or other individuals or participants of programs such as Institute special programs. Catapult, Fast-Track, RHAMP, International Studies and etc….a rental vehicle must be used and the property damage insurance provided by the rental agency must be purchased at the time of rental; an RHIT employee must be present for the duration of the trip when trips exceed 100 miles from campus or require an overnight stay. Hours of use are limited to 6 a.m. until 8 p.m., unless an advisor is present. The property damage insurance provided by the rental agency provides coverage for damage to the rental vehicle. Student Employees are not permitted under any circumstances to use personal vehicles to transport others and are not authorized to sign into a rental agreement.
Academic Only-Special Exceptions
The following are two special exceptions where an undergraduate or graduate student, that is not a student employee, may be authorized to drive a Rose-Hulman vehicle for academic purposes:
- Class field trip-An authorized and approved student operator may drive the Rose-Hulman vehicle if a faculty or staff member on the Approved Operators list is in the vehicle.
- Limited Faculty/Staff-Due to limited number of faculty/staff, an authorized student operator may drive unaccompanied in a caravan with another vehicle in which a faculty or staff is driving as long as all take the same route of travel and stop and depart at the same time. There should be one primary faculty/staff approved driver for each primary student driver.
Student operators are always a concern and situations involving the use of a student driver are reviewed/considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management for additional information and/or clarification regarding “Use of Vehicles” by students.
Use of Rose-Hulman Vehicles by Recognized Clubs or Departments
BACK TO TOP
- Any Rose-Hulman student organization that has gained and maintained “registered” status, with the exception of Greek organizations, may use Rose-Hulman vehicles when the vehicles are operated by the advisor or an approved Rose-Hulman employee on the Authorized Operator list. An updated listing of “registered student organizations” is available in the Student Activities Office.
- Only the student organization advisor/department can reserve and operate an Rose-Hulman vehicle. To reserve Rose-Hulman vehicles, the registered student organization or department must provide Facilities with their account number. That account will be charged the current IRS standard mileage rate for Rose-Hulman vehicle usage.
- Rose-Hulman vehicles can only be used for approved/sponsored events. Vehicles cannot be used for personal use. Examples of appropriate use would include: travel to and from conferences, meetings, and events that further the mission of the student organization and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.
- Student organization advisor (or full-time Rose-Hulman faculty serving in the place of the advisor) or department, must assume all responsibility for operating the Rose-Hulman vehicle. Students are not permitted to operate Rose-Hulman vehicles-see Use of Rentals below.
- Rose-Hulman drivers (advisor or other full-time faculty or staff member) must be listed on the Authorized Operator list.
- Rose-Hulman vehicles cannot be used for travel beyond 100 miles from campus.
- Passengers in the Rose-Hulman vehicle may only be current Rose-Hulman faculty, staff, or students.
- Operators must follow the Rose-Hulman safe driving practices.
If in an accident while in a Rose-Hulman vehicle, follow the procedures as outlined within the insurance packet located in the glove box of the vehicle.
Student organizations must register all travel and submit the required travel information to Kristen Loyd in the Student Activities Office, prior to departing campus. Travel packets are available in the Student Activities Office and the Sports and Recreation Center.
- Driver should not talk on a cell phone while operating vehicle.
- Driver and all passengers must wear safety belts.
- Smoking is prohibited in Rose-Hulman vehicles.
Student Use of Rentals
11. Rental vehicles may be used for departmental travel and/or registered club related approved activities of student organizations that have gained and maintained registered status, with the exception of Greek organizations, when all requirements noted below are met;
- the advisor/professor must be present for the duration of the trip, regardless of distance
- the advisor/professor must be driving the vehicle and be listed as an Rose-Hulman Approved Operator.
- If more than one driver is needed as a safety precaution or due to distance, any additional driver/s must be listed as an Approved Operator.
- Driving reports for a potential student operator is the responsibility of the student to obtain, at their cost. The report, no older than 30 days from the date on the report, must be provided to the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management. If the driving history meets the insurance carrier’s guidelines, the student will be added to the Approved Operator list for the current academic year.
- If a limited number of faculty/staff, an Authorized Student operator may drive a rental unaccompanied in a caravan with another vehicle/s in which a faculty or staff is driving as long as all take the same route of travel.
Physical Damage insurance coverage must be purchased from the rental agency at the time of rental.
- All participants must be departing and returning at the same time and from the same location as the advisor/professor.
- There should be one primary faculty/staff driver for each primary student driver.
- The only vehicle types permitted for Rose-Hulman rental use are vehicles with a seating capacity of 10 passengers or less and small to medium size trucks. 11-15 passenger vans, cargo/box trucks, buses, RV’s, motorcycles and/or anything which requires a special license or CDL are excluded and cannot be used/rented for Rose-Hulman related trips.
- a copy of the rental agreement must be on file with Kristen Loyd or the Manager of Insurance and Risk Management prior to departure.
12. Operators must follow the Rose-Hulman safe driving practices.
- Driver should not talk on a cell phone while operating vehicle.
- Driver and all passengers must wear safety belts.
13. Smoking is prohibited in Rose-Hulman vehicles. If in an accident while in a Rose-Hulman vehicle, follow the procedures as outlined below under “How to Report an Auto Accident/Incident”
14. Student organizations must register all travel and submit the required travel information to Kristen Loyd in the Student Activities Office, prior to departing campus. Travel packets are available in the Student Activities Office and the Sports and Recreation Center. Departmental trips must follow guidelines as noted under “Domestic Travel”
The above process/requirement can change without advance notice; always check with the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs or Insurance and Risk Management to confirm approved process of use.
BACK TO TOP
Rental Vehicles- Driven by Authorized Faculty/Staff
11-15 passenger vans cannot be used/rented under any circumstances. Any vehicle other than an auto or small/medium truck must be preapproved through Risk Management as additional insurance as well as additional driving requirements, prior to use, many be required. Rose-Hulman suggests that faculty/staff do not purchase the additional insurance provided by the rental agency when traveling for approved Rose-Hulman business use within the United States. Using a rental vehicle for a club related activity does require the purchasing of property damage insurance through the rental agency regardless if operator is a registered/approved faculty/staff or student authorized driver.
When traveling outside of the United States the purchasing of additional insurance is required. See the section below titled International Driving for additional information.
Rose-Hulman vehicles and rental vehicles may only be used for business related travel. If the trip will involve any personal time, you will be required to rent the vehicle in the employee’s name, with the RHIT rental discount, and take the insurance provided by the rental agency or let the insurance coverage come from your personal auto policy. You can charge the fees related to the business portion of your trip to your department for reimbursement.
Approved Rental Vehicles
The only vehicle types permitted for Rose-Hulman rental use are vehicles with a seating capacity of 10 passengers or less and small to medium size trucks. Motorcycles, 11-15 passenger vans, cargo/box trucks, buses, RV’s and/or anything which requires a special license or CDL are excluded and cannot be used for Rose-Hulman related trips.
If you are renting the vehicle in Rose-Hulman’s name and have passengers that are not Rose-Hulman employees ore registered students, your passengers are required to sign a Guest Passenger release form.
Rental Vehicles-Driven by Authorized Student
If a rental vehicle is driven by an authorized student, the property damage insurance must be purchased from the rental agency at the time of rental. The individual driving the rental vehicle must be listed as an RHIT Authorized Operator. Our auto carrier will not pay claims involving a non-authorized driver.
Additional information in regards to student operators and Use of RHIT/Rental vehicles can be found under “Student Vehicle Use of RHIT/Rentals” Students are not permitted under any circumstances to authorize or sign into a rental agreement.
Use of Personal Vehicle
BACK TO TOP
Personal vehicles used for Business purposes-In order for an employee to use a personal vehicle for Business use, the employee must;
- Possess a valid and current driver’s license and be able to provide proof of automobile insuranceupon request by Rose-Hulman or the insurance carrier.
- If an employee cannot provide a valid license and/or proof of insurance, the employee will not be able to utilize a personal vehicle for business travel. Most auto carriers provide their insured with an insurance card to be retained in the auto. A current insurance card can be used as “proof of insurance.”
Personal Vehicle-Physical Damage
Damage to a personal vehicle, and any deductible, is not covered under the RHIT auto policy. When an individual drives a personal auto for business related travel, the individual assumes all responsibility and such expenses are not the responsibility of Rose-Hulman.
Personal Vehicle/Passenger Van—11 through 15 passenger vans are NOT permitted to be used under any circumstances. Employees that own personal vehicles that are excluded from our Institute policy should not use such vehicles to transport students for school related activities/functions.
Personal Vehicle-Liability coverage is available under the insurance policy that affords coverage to the personal vehicle being used for transportation by the employee; this coverage is primary coverage. RHIT’s auto policy will afford excess liability coverage after the primary coverage liability limits are exhausted. Due to the inherited liability risk to the employee and their personal auto coverage, we strongly suggest that employees refrain from using their personal vehicles to transport others, including students.
BACK TO TOP
International Driving-The RHIT auto and liability policies does not afford any liability, collision or property damage coverage while in Canada, Mexico or abroad. All coverage’s would need to be purchased from the rental agency at the time of rental. If the insurance is not purchased and an incident should occur, the employee and/or the department will be financially responsible.
Guest and Passengers
Guest Passenger Waiver-Any passenger, other than an RHIT employee, must sign a Passenger Waiver form prior to riding in an Institute owned or non-owned rental vehicle. This form must be signed and returned to Risk Management prior to departure. This form must be completed for each trip.
Passenger Van Policy
Passenger Van—11 through 15 passenger vans are NOT permitted to be used under any circumstances. Employees that own personal vehicles that are excluded from our Institute policy should not use such vehicles to transport students for school related activities/functions.
All persons in Institute owned and non-owned vehicles are required to wear seatbelts at all times.
Smoking is prohibited in all institute owned vehicles.
Use of cell phones is not permitted while the vehicle is moving. If it is necessary to use a cell phone, you are required to pull off the road.
BACK TO TOP
If an Institute owned vehicle is operated by a student that incurs damage to RHIT property, property damage or injury to others, the department, club or organization that requested the vehicle will be responsible for paying the deductible plus any and all charges determined not to be covered by our existing auto carrier. ATTENTION: **Not all claims are submitted to the insurance carrier for payment, some are absorbed by the Institute. In those situations, the reserving/requesting department would be responsible for reimbursement of the entire claim and not limited to the applicable deductible.
When a claim is submitted to our carrier for processing, the applicable deductibles for Institute owned and non-owned (rental) vehicles would apply;
- Comprehensive damage-$500 (Damage other than collision)
- Collision damage-$1,000 (Coverage for the auto you are driving)
Loss of Driving Privileges
Driving an Institute owned or non-owned vehicle is a privilege, such privileges can be revoked. Revocation can be triggered by an unacceptable MVR report and/or accident frequency (fault/not-at fault). Please practice safe driving habits!
Any student driver involved in an accident or incident that causes damage to Rose-Hulman property, damage to property of others or injury, will have all driving privileges revoked and will be required to complete additional training as determined required by Rose-Hulman. This training may be at the student’s expense…please practice safe driving habits!
How to Report an Auto Accident/Incident
BACK TO TOP
If an employee or student should be involved in an accident while operating an Institute owned or non-owned vehicle, the individual should contact the local authorities and our Manager of Insurance and Risk immediately. If the accident occurs on campus, the employee/student should also contact Campus Security so that an incident report may be completed.
Steps to follow:
- Stop immediately, do not leave the scene of the accident and do not move your vehicle until instructed to do so by the local authority.
- When the accident occurs off campus, call the local police in the accident area and notify Risk Management.
- For accidents occurring on campus, contact Campus Security and Risk Management
- Exchange identification and insurance information with the other driver(s)
- Rose-Hulman auto insurance information is available within the glove box of the Institute vehicle.
- DO NOT give statements to anyone other than the police officer, Rose-Hulman Risk Manager and Campus Security. Statements may be given to our insurance carrier and any other insurance carrier involved in the claim AFTER an incident report has been filed with Risk Management.
- Be courteous, cooperative and reasonable
- Do not admit or deny blame. Do not sign anything.
If an employee is injured in a work related automobile accident, the employee would be covered under Worker’s Compensation coverage and will be required to follow the guidelines as outlined under the section titled “Worker’s Compensation”.