Rose-Hulman guiding principles
1. Rose-Hulman puts the student first
- maintain small size, small classes, and individual attention;
- provide active help and a general sense of caring support;
- encourage interaction within the Rose-Hulman community;
- emphasize undergraduate education while maintaining quality programs in graduate and continuing education.
2. Rose-Hulman fosters the continued growth of all its community members
- stimulate creativity, curiosity, and intellectual excitement;
- promote personal growth in students, faculty, and staff;
- encourage persistence, self-discipline and working to one's potential;
- instill a sense of ethics and personal responsibility;
- practice tolerance and encourage diversity;
- broaden students through a rigorous liberal education;
- prepare students for leadership roles;
- promote scholarship, research, and continual professional growth.
3. Rose-Hulman provides an opportunity to develop the skills required of the technical professional
- emphasize a systematic, rigorous grounding in fundamentals;
- teach critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- emphasize hands-on experience and real-world projects;
- develop communication, team, and networking skills;
- provide cross-disciplinary experiences;
- encourage entrepreneurial thinking;
- inculcate the habits of professional practice;
- help students obtain undergraduate work experience by assisting them in their efforts to acquire summer internships and co-ops;
- assist students in their efforts to find professional employment or further educational opportunities upon graduation.
4. Rose-Hulman seeks continuous improvement in all its programs
- strive to enhance our role as an innovator in technical education;
- integrate cutting edge technology with cutting edge pedagogy;
- continue rigorous assessment efforts;
- provide state-of-the-art facilities;
- practice careful stewardship, reducing costs while increasing quality.
5. Rose-Hulman contributes to society and fosters citizenship and service in its members
- develop an understanding of the impact of science and technology on society;
- encourage students, alumni, faculty, and staff to use their talents for the betterment of society;
- emphasize contributing to the profession and to the body of knowledge;
- play an active role in bettering the community;
- participate in business and academic partnerships;
- foster economic and social development -- regional, national, and global.
6. Rose-Hulman maintains a collegial, collaborative, supportive working environment
- create a work place where everyone feels included, fairly treated, and secure;
- support academic freedom;
- solve problems positively and develop institute policy through consensual methods;
- promote open communication;
- treat everyone equally and with respect;
- support and cooperate with one another;
- encourage innovation and risk-taking;
- expect everyone to contribute to the institute's success;
- retain a sense of humor and remember to have fun.
[Adopted at the Institute Meeting 11/9/99; modified at the 12/7/99 Institute Meeting]