< Back to
< Back to all News
Featured items from the July 10th Rose Exchange meeting:
July 12, 2013
||Historic Academic All-American: Liz Evans became our 100th Academic All-American after winning her fifth NCAA Division III high jump national championship this spring. She is a 2013 electrical engineering and mathematics graduate. (Photo by Shawn Spence).
- 2013 electrical engineering and mathematics graduate Liz Evans earned the 100th Academic All-American honor in Institute history, by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). The five-time national champion was one of 15 women's track and field and cross country student-athletes named to the Capital One NCAA Division III Division Women's First-Team Academic All-American squad. This marks the 28th consecutive year that a Rose-Hulman student-athlete has earned Academic All-American honors—the sixth longest streak among all NCAA Division I, II, or III institutions and the longest streak in Division III. Kevin Lanke, assistant athletic director for sports information and communications, is a member of CoSIDA’s Academic All-American Committee.
- President James Conwell, PhD, PE, is spending the next two weeks visiting Board of Trustees members in their home communities. He also threw the ceremonial first pitch at the Indianapolis Indians’ July 4th game at Victory Field in downtown Indianapolis—an event attended by several alumni, faculty, and staff members and their families.
- Congratulations to the Office of Career Services for being ranked sixth in the 2013 BestColleges.com poll of colleges and universities assisting students to gain post-graduate employment, summer internship, and co-op work opportunities. These efforts have helped Rose-Hulman have a near 100-percent career placement rate by graduation. See BestColleges.com’s list at www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-college-career-services.
- The Duke Energy Foundation has provided a $40,000 grant to sponsor 10 Indiana high school seniors attending this summer’s Operation Catapult summer STEM exploration program, and high school teachers to learn new STEM concepts for their classrooms. Rick Burger, director of Duke Energy’s Terre Haute district, helped welcome the first Duke Energy Catapult Scholars to campus on Monday.
- The Office of Student Affairs will send residence hall housing assignments next week to returning students and incoming freshmen. Every effort has been made to provide campus housing arrangements to all students desiring this option.
- The Office of Admissions is hosting a campus visitation day on Friday, July 12, for 75 prospective students and their family members. These visitors will learn about admissions requirements and procedures, receive information about academic areas of career interest, meet current students, and take a campus tour.
- A total of 161 high school seniors are participating in the Operation Catapult program’s second summer session (through July 26). They will complete a hands-on project, attend lectures by Rose-Hulman faculty members, experience living on a college campus, take off-campus tours to visit STEM-oriented companies, and enjoy social activities. The group includes students from Greece, Philippines, and China. Eight students from China’s Huazhong University of Science and Technology are serving as mentors during the three-week session.
- July 15th is the deadline for the Office of Business & Finance to process bills for payment from the 2012-13 fiscal year budget.
- Mechanical engineering professor David Fisher, PhD, will present the Indiana State Museum’s Science Nights program on “Fact or Fiction: The Droids from Star Wars” on Thursday, July 11. The Office of Alumni Affairs is hosting an alumni reception before the presentation.
- The Worx area of the Hulman Student Union is being remodeled this month as ARAMARK Food Service adds a Jump Asian Express serving area to the Noble Romans Pizza restaurant. More details will be forthcoming at the beginning of the new school year.
- The Student Government Association is mailing special t-shirts to each incoming 2013-14 freshman.
- The following new employees were introduced as they begin their Rose-Hulman careers:
- Michael Kratage-Dixon, marketing manager for the Office of Communications and Marketing
- Soup Campbell, associate director of pre-college outreach for the Office of Admissions