FRANKLIN, IND. -- The Rose-Hulman
Institute of Technology women's tennis team secured a share of
the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference regular season
championship with a 7-2 win at Franklin on Sunday.
Rose-Hulman has secured at least a share of the regular season
championship with an 8-1 mark and stands 19-1 against league
competition over the last two seasons. The Fightin'
Engineers also earned the No. 1 seed for next weekend's league
tournament by virtue of a 5-4 win over potential co-champion
Transylvania University on Sept. 24.
Rose-Hulman can also earn its second consecutive trip to the
NCAA Division III Tournament during next week's HCAC Tourney.
The Fightin' Engineers defeated Transylvania last October to secure
their first ever NCAA bid in the sport of tennis.
The doubles teams opened the match with a sweep at the No. 1,
No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The No. 1 team of juniors
Melissa Montgomery (Alexandria/Monroe) and
Sage Sackett (Kalamazoo, Mich./Mattawan) joined
the No. 3 team of freshman Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summit,
Mo./West) and sophomore Lauren Reberger
(Brazil/Northview) by winning in tiebreakers.
Sophomores Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis./Senior)
and Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) also won at the
No. 2 spot.
Singles winners included Sackett at No. 2; Montgomery at No. 3;
Cook at No. 5; and McCollum at the No. 6 spot.
Rose-Hulman returns to action against Oakland City University on
Wednesday night at the Joy Hulbert Tennis Center.
ROSE-HULMAN 7, FRANKLIN 2
1. Heather Pasek (FC) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 7-5, 6-2
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Adrian Gillaspy (FC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Rain Tuley (FC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Bethany Harris (FC) def. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Shannon Beaty (FC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Rebecca Bonomini (FC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Sackett/Montgomery (RHIT) def. Pasek/Harris (FC) 9-8
2. Stettler/Cook (RHIT) def. Gillaspy/Tuley (FC) 8-3
3. McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Bonomini/Julie
Bazan (FC) 9-8 (7-5)
#1 in the nation for 15 years!
© 1996-2013 Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology