FRANKLIN, IND. -- The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology women's tennis team secured a share of the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference regular season championship with a 7-2 win at Franklin on Sunday.
Rose-Hulman has secured at least a share of the regular season championship with an 8-1 mark and stands 19-1 against league competition over the last two seasons. The Fightin' Engineers also earned the No. 1 seed for next weekend's league tournament by virtue of a 5-4 win over potential co-champion Transylvania University on Sept. 24.
Rose-Hulman can also earn its second consecutive trip to the NCAA Division III Tournament during next week's HCAC Tourney. The Fightin' Engineers defeated Transylvania last October to secure their first ever NCAA bid in the sport of tennis.
The doubles teams opened the match with a sweep at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The No. 1 team of juniors Melissa Montgomery (Alexandria/Monroe) and Sage Sackett (Kalamazoo, Mich./Mattawan) joined the No. 3 team of freshman Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summit, Mo./West) and sophomore Lauren Reberger (Brazil/Northview) by winning in tiebreakers. Sophomores Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis./Senior) and Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) also won at the No. 2 spot.
Singles winners included Sackett at No. 2; Montgomery at No. 3; Cook at No. 5; and McCollum at the No. 6 spot.
Rose-Hulman returns to action against Oakland City University on Wednesday night at the Joy Hulbert Tennis Center.
ROSE-HULMAN 7, FRANKLIN 2
1. Heather Pasek (FC) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 7-5, 6-2
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Adrian Gillaspy (FC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Rain Tuley (FC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Bethany Harris (FC) def. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Shannon Beaty (FC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Rebecca Bonomini (FC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Sackett/Montgomery (RHIT) def. Pasek/Harris (FC) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Stettler/Cook (RHIT) def. Gillaspy/Tuley (FC) 8-3
3. McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Bonomini/Julie Bazan (FC) 9-8 (7-5)