INDIANAPOLIS, IND. -- Anderson University upset top-seeded Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology with a 5-4 women's tennis victory in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Women's Tennis Tournament semifinals at West Indy Racquet Club on Saturday.
Anderson advances to the HCAC title match by virtue of its second win of the day, after topping Manchester 5-4 on Saturday morning. The Ravens will face No. 2 seeded Transylvania in the title round on Sunday.
Sophomore Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) capped an undefeated season in HCAC singles and doubles matches to lead the Rose-Hulman effort. Cook won at No. 5 singles and teamed with sophomore Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis./Senior) for a victory at No. 2 doubles.
Other singles winners for Rose-Hulman included junior Melissa Montgomery (Alexandria, Ind./Monroe) at No. 3 and freshman Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summitt, Mo./West) at No. 6.
Rose-Hulman finishes the fall campaign at 10-3 overall and earned its second consecutive HCAC regular season championship.
ANDERSON 5, ROSE-HULMAN 4
1. Alex Hammel (AU) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Courtney Postmus (AU) def. Sage Sackett (RHIT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Sylvia Schering (AU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Michaela Hammel (AU) def. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Shel Wilhelm (AU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Katie Gunnoe (AU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Alex Hammel/Postmus (AU) def. Sackett/Montgomery (RHIT) 8-3
2. Marie Stettler/Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Schering/Gunnoe (AU) 8-3
3. Michaela Hammel/Kourtney Brubaker (AU) def. Lauren Reberger/McCollum (RHIT) 8-5