INDIANAPOLIS, IND. --
Anderson University upset top-seeded Rose-Hulman Institute of
Technology with a 5-4 women's tennis victory in the Heartland
Collegiate Athletic Conference Women's Tennis Tournament semifinals
at West Indy Racquet Club on Saturday.
Anderson advances to the HCAC title match by virtue of its
second win of the day, after topping Manchester 5-4 on Saturday
morning. The Ravens will face No. 2 seeded Transylvania in
the title round on Sunday.
Sophomore Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) capped
an undefeated season in HCAC singles and doubles matches to lead
the Rose-Hulman effort. Cook won at No. 5 singles and teamed
with sophomore Marie Stettler (Edgerton,
Wis./Senior) for a victory at No. 2 doubles.
Other singles winners for Rose-Hulman included junior
Melissa Montgomery (Alexandria, Ind./Monroe) at
No. 3 and freshman Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summitt,
Mo./West) at No. 6.
Rose-Hulman finishes the fall campaign at 10-3 overall and
earned its second consecutive HCAC regular season championship.
ANDERSON 5, ROSE-HULMAN 4
1. Alex Hammel (AU) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Courtney Postmus (AU) def. Sage Sackett (RHIT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Sylvia Schering (AU) 6-3,
4. Michaela Hammel (AU) def. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) 7-5, 1-6,
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Shel Wilhelm (AU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Katie Gunnoe (AU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Alex Hammel/Postmus (AU) def. Sackett/Montgomery (RHIT)
2. Marie Stettler/Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Schering/Gunnoe (AU)
3. Michaela Hammel/Kourtney Brubaker (AU) def. Lauren
Reberger/McCollum (RHIT) 8-5
#1 in the nation for 15 years!
© 1996-2014 Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology