INDIANAPOLIS, IND. – With a perfect 5-0 sweep of Franklin, the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology women’s tennis team is headed to Sunday’s Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament Championship.
The No. 2-seed Engineers will take on top-seed Hanover at West Indy Racquet Club in the final round, beginning at 10 a.m.
Rose-Hulman didn’t leave anything to chance in Saturday’s semifinals, as Suzana Mohd (Puchong, Malaysia/Mara University) and Paige Cook (Terre Haute, Ind./North Vigo) earned straight-set wins in singles and the teams of Cook and Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wisc./Edgerton Senior), Mohd and Kylie McCollum (Lee’s Summit, Mo./Lee’s Summit West) and Lauren Reberger (Brazil, Ind./Northview) and Sydney Short (Langley, Va./Grafton) won handily in doubles play.
The Engineers return to the HCAC Tournament Championship for the second straight season, a year after falling to 2012 champion Franklin in the title round. Rose-Hulman won its last HCAC Tournament in 2011, when the Engineers earned their first-ever bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament.
Hanover advanced to the final round via a 5-0 victory over Anderson in the semifinals. Anderson, the No. 5 seed, defeated 4-seed Transylvania 5-3 in Saturday’s opening round. Franklin, the No. 3 seed, made it through to the semifinals after defeating the No. 6-seed Manchester, 5-3.
Live updates of the match will be available on Twitter by following @NicoleWatkinsRH.
1. Marie Stettler (RHIT) vs. Melissa Sanders (FC), unfinished
2. Suzana Mohd (RHIT) def. Bethany Harris (FC), 6-0, 6-3.
3. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Emily Roberts (FC), 6-4, 6-1.
4. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) vs. Chelsea Howell (FC), unfinished
5. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) vs. Shawnee Bayes (FC), unfinished
6. Lauren Miller (RHIT) vs. Becky Bonomini (FC), unfinished.
1. Paige Cook/Marie Stettler (RHIT) def. Melissa Sanders/Bethany Harris (FC), 8-1.
2. Suzana Mohd/Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Chelsea Howell/Alison Meyer (FC), 8-3.
3. Lauren Reberger/Sydney Short (RHIT) def. Chelsea Platt/Emily Helvie (FC), 8-4.