INDIANAPOLIS, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology advanced to the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Women's Tennis Championship Match with a 5-1 victory over Transylvania University on Saturday.
Rose-Hulman will square off with Franklin College in a battle of the top two seeds in the tournament on Sunday. The winner will earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament this spring.
The singles trio of junior Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North), freshman Lauren Miller (Highland, Ill.) and sophomore Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summit, Mo./West) swept singles wins and the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles positions for the Engineers.
The match began with doubles wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 position for Rose-Hulman. The No. 2 team featured Cook and sophomore Koharuko Fujita (Ishikawa, Japan), with the No. 3 team including McCollum and junior Lauren Reberger (Brazil/Northview).
Rose-Hulman improved to 11-2 on the season and faces Franklin (12-2) in the title round on Sunday.
ROSE-HULMAN 5, TRANSYLVANIA 1
1. Marie Stettler (RHIT) vs. Mielcarek, Claire (TRANSY) unfinished
2. Suzana Mohd (RHIT) vs. Hizny, Kaitlin (TRANSY) unfinished
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) vs. Dixon, Megan (TRANSY) unfinished
4. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Haugli, Victoria (TRANSY) 6-0, 6-1
5. Lauren Miller (RHIT) def. Tapscott, Caroline (TRANSY) 6-2, 6-1
6. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Barnett, Savannah (TRANSY) 6-1, 6-1
1. Hizny, Kaitlin/Mielcarek, Claire (TRANSY) def. Melissa Montgomery/Marie Stettler (RHIT) 9-7
2. Paige Cook/Koharuko Fujita (RHIT) def. Dixon, Megan/Haugli, Victoria (TRANSY) 8-1
3. Kylie McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Barnett, Savannah/McCreary, Taylor (TRANSY) 8-3