DEFIANCE, OHIO -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology topped Defiance College and narrowly fell to Anderson University in a pair of Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference women's tennis matches on Saturday.
The Fightin' Engineers topped Defiance 8-1 in Ohio on Saturday morning, then narrowly fell 5-4 at Anderson on Saturday night.
The loss snapped Rose-Hulman's 13-match winning streak against HCAC competition. The Fightin' Engineers stand 2-1 overall in league play.
Against Defiance, singles winners included sophomore Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis./Senior) at No. 1; junior Sage Sackett (Kalamazoo, Mich./Mattawan) at No. 2; junior Melissa Montgomery (Alexandria/Monroe) at No. 3; sophomore Colleen Stevenson (Bolton, Mass./Nashoba Regional) at No. 4; sophomore Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) at No. 5; and freshman Manasa Punugu (Dublin, Ohio/Coffman) at No. 6.
In doubles play, winning teams included freshman Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summit, Mo./West) and sophomore Lauren Reberger (Brazil/Northview) at the No. 1 spot, and sophomore Grace Johnson-Bann (Hermitage, Tenn./Hunters Lane) and Punugu at No. 2.
Against Anderson, winners included Sackett at No. 2 singles, Montgomery at No. 3 singles, Cook at No. 5 singles, and the tandem of Stettler and Cook at No. 2 doubles.
Rose-Hulman stands 4-2 overall and 2-1 in HCAC play. The Fightin' Engineers compete in the Franklin doubles invitational on Sunday and return to regular season action on Saturday against Transylvania at home.
ROSE-HULMAN 8, DEFIANCE 1
1. Marie Stettler (RHIT) def. Kirsten Wieland (DC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Catie Savage (DC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Nicole Lovins (DC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) def. Katie Carunchia (DC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Tasha Brown (DC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Manasa Punugu (RHIT) def. Danielle LaBarbera (DC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kylie McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Kirsten Wieland/Nicole Lovins (DC) 8-2
2. Grace Johnson-Bann/Manasa Punugu (RHIT) def. Catie Savage/Katie Carunchia (DC) 8-3
3. Tasha Brown/Danielle LaBarbera (DC) def. Sarah Hensley/Sonia Sanchez (RHIT) 8-1
ANDERSON 5, ROSE-HULMAN 4
1. Alex Hammel (AU) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-2)
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Courtney Postmus (AU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Tara Akers (AU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 6-3
4. Sylvia Schering (AU) def. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Michaela Hammel (AU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Shel Wilhelm (AU) def. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
1. Alex Hammel/Courtney Postmus (AU) def. Sage Sackett/Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) 8-1
2. Marie Stettler/Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Tara Akers/Sylvia Schering (AU) 8-2
3. Kourtney Brubaker/Michaela Hammel (AU) def. Kylie McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) 8-6