DEFIANCE, OHIO --
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology topped Defiance College
and narrowly fell to Anderson University in a pair
of Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference women's tennis
matches on Saturday.
The Fightin' Engineers topped Defiance 8-1 in Ohio on Saturday
morning, then narrowly fell 5-4 at Anderson on Saturday night.
The loss snapped Rose-Hulman's 13-match winning streak against
HCAC competition. The Fightin' Engineers stand 2-1 overall in
Against Defiance, singles winners included sophomore
Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis./Senior) at No. 1;
junior Sage Sackett (Kalamazoo, Mich./Mattawan) at
No. 2; junior Melissa Montgomery
(Alexandria/Monroe) at No. 3; sophomore Colleen
Stevenson (Bolton, Mass./Nashoba Regional) at No. 4;
sophomore Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) at No. 5;
and freshman Manasa Punugu (Dublin, Ohio/Coffman)
at No. 6.
In doubles play, winning teams included freshman Kylie
McCollum (Lee's Summit, Mo./West) and sophomore
Lauren Reberger (Brazil/Northview) at the No. 1
spot, and sophomore Grace Johnson-Bann (Hermitage,
Tenn./Hunters Lane) and Punugu at No. 2.
Against Anderson, winners included Sackett at No. 2 singles,
Montgomery at No. 3 singles, Cook at No. 5 singles, and the tandem
of Stettler and Cook at No. 2 doubles.
Rose-Hulman stands 4-2 overall and 2-1 in HCAC
play. The Fightin' Engineers compete in the Franklin
doubles invitational on Sunday and return to regular season action
on Saturday against Transylvania at home.
ROSE-HULMAN 8, DEFIANCE 1
1. Marie Stettler (RHIT) def. Kirsten Wieland (DC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Catie Savage (DC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Nicole Lovins (DC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) def. Katie Carunchia (DC) 6-1,
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Tasha Brown (DC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Manasa Punugu (RHIT) def. Danielle LaBarbera (DC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kylie McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Kirsten
Wieland/Nicole Lovins (DC) 8-2
2. Grace Johnson-Bann/Manasa Punugu (RHIT) def. Catie Savage/Katie
Carunchia (DC) 8-3
3. Tasha Brown/Danielle LaBarbera (DC) def. Sarah Hensley/Sonia
Sanchez (RHIT) 8-1
ANDERSON 5, ROSE-HULMAN 4
1. Alex Hammel (AU) def. Marie Stettler (RHIT) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Courtney Postmus (AU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Tara Akers (AU) 6-7
(4-7), 6-3, 6-3
4. Sylvia Schering (AU) def. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) 6-2,
5. Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Michaela Hammel (AU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Shel Wilhelm (AU) def. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
1. Alex Hammel/Courtney Postmus (AU) def. Sage Sackett/Melissa
Montgomery (RHIT) 8-1
2. Marie Stettler/Paige Cook (RHIT) def. Tara Akers/Sylvia Schering
3. Kourtney Brubaker/Michaela Hammel (AU) def. Kylie
McCollum/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) 8-6
#1 in the nation for 15 years!
© 1996-2014 Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology