GREENCASTLE, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology stands 4-1 overall and 3-0 in Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference men's tennis action after splitting two matches on Saturday.
The Engineers defeated Franklin 8-1 to move to 3-0 in league play, before falling 9-0 to NCAA Division II Ferris State University.
Singles winners for Rose-Hulman against Franklin included senior David Becerra (Brownsburg) (pictured) at No. 2; senior Alex Gumz (Palatine, Ill.) at No. 3; and sophomore Devon Fritz (Lakeside, Calif./West Hills) at the No. 4 spot.
Other winners in singles play included senior Seth Hendrickson (Crawfordsville) at No. 5 and senior Brent Frizzell (Avon) at No. 6.
Rose-Hulman also swept its three doubles matches. The team of sophomore Ben Paras (Tucson, Ariz./Nordhoff) and senior Dallas Burton (Haughton, La./Louisiana Math and Science) won at the No. 1 spot. Becerra and Hendrickson teamed up for a victory at No. 2 doubles, with Fritz and Gumz adding a win at the No. 3 doubles slot.
The Engineers will complete a busy weekend with matches against Indiana Tech at 11 a.m. and DePauw in Greencastle on Sunday.
1. Matt Hamm (FC) def. Ben Paras (RHIT) 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (10-8)
2. David Becerra (RHIT) def. Justin Smith (FC) 6-0, 6-4
3. Alex Gumz (RHIT) def. Brandon Roberts (FC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Jared Hunt (FC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Seth Hendrickson (RHIT) def. Justin Moran (FC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Brent Frizzell (RHIT) def. Neal Herzog (FC) 6-4, 6-2
1. Paras/Dallas Burton (RHIT) def. Hamm/Justin Moran (FC) 8-4
2. Becerra/Hendrickson (RHIT) def. Roberts/Jordan Moran (FC) 8-2
3. Fritz/Gumz (RHIT) def. Smith/Hunt (FC) 8-6
1. Kyle Revall (FSU) def. Ben Paras (RHIT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jack Swan (FSU) def. David Becerra (RHIT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Steven Roberts (FSU) def. Alex Gumz (RHIT) 6-1, 6-0
4. Justin Hermes (FSU) def. Devon Fritz (RHIT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Tyler Marengo (FSU) def. Seth Hendrickson (RHIT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Arin Enge (FSU) def. Brent Frizzell (RHIT) 6-1, 6-2
1. Revall/Roberts (FSU) def. Paras/Dallas Burton (RHIT) 8-2
2. Swan/Marengo (FSU) def. Becerra/Hendrickson (RHIT) 8-1
3. Hermes/Otto Keresztes (FSU) def. Fritz/Gumz (RHIT) 8-3