GREENCASTLE, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology nearly earned its first ever men's tennis win over regional power Wittenberg University, before narrowly falling 5-4 at DePauw University on Sunday.
Freshman Brandon Benedict (Indianapolis/Perry Meridian) led Rose-Hulman's effort with a 6-2, 6-3 win at the No. 1 singles position. Benedict teamed with freshman Georges Adam (Barueri, Brazil/Colegio Pentagono) for an 8-4 victory at the No. 1 doubles spot.
Sophomore Matthew Conrad (Anderson/Lapel) earned a victory at the No. 3 singles position, and the No. 3 doubles team of freshman Joe Kendall (Fort Mitchell, Ky./Covington Catholic) and sophomore Erin Miller (Stamping Ground, Ky./Scott County) won at the No. 3 doubles spot.
Rose-Hulman (0-3) opens its home schedule against Wabash College on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
Wittenberg 5, Rose-Hulman 4
1. Brandon Benedict (RHIT) def. Stas Pakhomov (WITT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Juan Mena (WITT) def. Georges Adam (RHIT) 6-3, 7-5
3. Matthew Conrad (RHIT) def. Akbar Tiwana (WITT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Tyler Strong (WITT) def. Nate Moore (RHIT) 6-1, 6-4
5. Mitchell Patterson (WITT) def. Joe Kendall (RHIT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jialang Woo (WITT) def. Ray Montgomery (RHIT) 6-0, 7-5
1. Brandon Benedict/Georges Adam (RHIT) def. Juan Mena/Tyler Strong (WITT) 8-6
2. Stas Pakhomov/Akbar Tiwana (WITT) def. Matthew Conrad/Nate Moore (RHIT) 8-4
3. Erin Miller/Joe Kendall (RHIT) def. Mitchell Patterson/Jialang Woo (WITT) 9-8 (7-3)