TAMPA, FLA. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology earned its first victory over a Florida based institution in the 25-year men's tennis era of Dan Hopkins as program head coach with a 6-3 victory at Ave Maria on Monday night.
Singles winners for the Engineers included senior Ben Paras (Tucson, Ariz./Nordhoff) at the No. 1 position; freshman Matthew Conrad (Anderson/Lapel) at the No. 4 spot; and senior Eric Teeman (Gurnee, Ill./Warren Township) at the No. 5 position.
Paras teamed with senior Devon Fritz (Lakeside, Calif./West Hills) for a tightly contested 9-8 win at the No. 1 doubles position. Rose-Hulman also received forfeit victories at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles.
The Fightin' Engineers stand 3-5 on the season and return to action against Southeastern University on Tuesday in Tampa.
ROSE-HULMAN 6, AVE MARIA 3
1. Ben Paras (RHIT) def. Leo Duval (AMU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)
2. Eric Peterson (AMU) def. Devon Fritz (RHIT) 5-7, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (10-7)
3. Theodore Pince (AMU) def. Nate Moore (RHIT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Matthew Conrad (RHIT) def. Zachary Sadusky (AMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Eric Teeman (RHIT) def. Elias Zaghra (AMU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Rose-Hulman won by forfeit
1. Ben Paras/Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Leo Duval/Eric Peterson (AMU) 9-8 (10-8)
2. Theodore Pince/Zachary Sadusky (AMU) def. Matthew Conrad/Nate Moore (RHIT) 9-7
3. Rose-Hulman won by forfeit