TERRE HAUTE, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology clinched the No. 4 seed for next weekend's Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference men's tennis tournament with a 5-4 win over Hanover College on Sunday.
Junior Ben Paras (Tucson, Ariz./Nordhoff) and junior Devon Fritz (Lakeside, Calif./West Hills) earned victories at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, after teaming up for a No. 1 doubles win.
The doubles team of sophomore Nathan Moore (Scottsdale, Ariz./Home Schooled) and senior Randy Billingsley (Moline, Ill./Alleman) also won at the No. 3 spot.
Freshman Ray Montgomery (Terre Haute/South) scored Rose-Hulman's final point with a victory at the No. 6 singles position.
Rose-Hulman stands 9-6 overall and finished outright fourth in the league at 6-3 in HCAC matches. The Fightin' Engineers have secured their 15th consecutive season with a record of .500 or above. Rose-Hulman's tournament opponent will be determined at the completion of the regular season later this week.
ROSE-HULMAN 5, HANOVER 4
1. Ben Paras (RHIT) def. Ramsey,Brandon (HANOVER) 6-1, 6-2
2. Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Gilliam,Steven (HANOVER) 6-4, 6-2
3. Bohnert,Kyle (HANOVER) def. Nathan Moore (RHIT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Erlewein,Maxwell (HANOVER) def. Ian Stevenson (RHIT) 6-4, 6-0
5. Strandmark,Matt (HANOVER) def. Stephan Lemmer (RHIT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
6. Ray Montgomery (RHIT) def. Sharpe, Devon (HANOVER) 6-2, 7-6 (7-0)DOUBLES
1. Ben Paras/Devon Fritz (RHIT) def. Ramsey,Brandon/Strandmark,Matt (HANOVER) 8-2
2. Gilliam,Steven/Bohnert,Kyle (HANOVER) def. Ian Stevenson/Stephan Lemmer (RHIT) 8-1
3. Nathan Moore/Randy Billingsley (RHIT) def. Veach,Austin/Zimmers,Derek (HANOVER) 8-5