The Rose-Hulman curriculum offers several options for an entering freshman that provide a solid foundation in chemistry and exposure to many disciplines. The department offers majors in chemistry and biochemistry and a minor in chemistry. A biochemistry-molecular biology as a second degree is also available for chemistry majors. The biochemistry and chemistry curricula have the following outstanding features:
- A solid foundation in the fundamentals
- All laboratories are instructed by faculty from general chemistry to the senior level
- Laboratories focus on developing independence and problem-solving skills
- Emphasis on a strong undergraduate research program that often results in publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific meetings
- Mastering state of the art chemical instrumentation and other tools used by professional chemists
The curriculum offers an honors program which is an accelerated program for students with a strong high school background and students with AP 5 received credit for the entire general chemistry sequence (12 credits).