Q:    How do I dispose of chemicals or other hazardous substances that are no longer used or have become obsolete?

A:    Contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (x8124) to determine the proper method of disposal and/or to arrange disposal of the materials through an approved disposal firm.

Q:    What do I do if my department needs training on an environmental health or safety topic?

A:    Contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (x8124) to arrange and schedule training on specific or general environmental health and safety topic.

Q:    What government organizations regulate environmental health and safety for universities and colleges?

A:    Several agencies are responsible for enforcing these types of regulations.  These include, but are not limited to, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT), Indiana Occupational Health and Safety Administration (IOSHA), Indiana Department of Emergency Management (IDEM), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Public Health Services (PHS), Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and many others.

Q:    What do I have to do in order to work with animals on campus?

A:    You must first contact the Institute Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to inform them of your intentions and experimental design, before you even order or begin to work with animals.  More information will be provided to you at the time you notify the IACUC of your desire to work or experiment with animals.

Q:    What is an MSDS?

A:    A material safety data sheet (MSDS) is an information data sheet that informs the user of any hazardous material the specific environmental health and safety requirements and precautions that must be implemented when using or being exposed to such materials.