Login As Localmgr
To log into Windows XP as an administrator
- If you are logged in as yourself (using your username), log off by clicking Start -> Log Off
- At the Windows XP log in screen, ensure that you have clicked on the Options button in the lower right hand corner of the window and that you can see the field named Log in to:
- In the username field, type localmgr
- In the password field, type your localmgr password
- In the Log in to: field, pull the menu down and change it to computername (This Computer). This indicates that you are logging into the local machine itself.
- Click OK
You are now logged in as localmgr and have full administrative rights and access to the machine and any programs on it. You can now add, remove or modify any programs, printers or settings on the machine. After you finish the maintenance on the machine, log off of the localmgr account and log back into your own account (using your username). Remember, if you are a desktop user, you will have to change the Log in to: field back to ROSE-HULMAN.EDU (Kerberos Realm). If you are a laptop user, leave the Log in to: field as computername (This Computer).
If you need further assistance, please contact the Help Desk at x.8989.