No-VPN Outlook Setup
The following steps allow Outlook to connect to Rose-Hulman's exchange server while not on the campus network without the use of VPN. These instructions are written for Outlook 2007, but will work for 2003 (however some button names may be different)
- Open Outlook, then go to Tools -> Account Settings (E-mail
Accounts in Outlook 2003)
- For Outlook 2003, click "Next"
- Double Click on "Microsoft Exchange"
If you do not see "Microsoft Exchange", complete the Email Setup page first.
- Verify that the "Microsoft Exchange Server" does not have ".ms" anywhere. If it does, skip to the known issues section. If it doesn't, click "More Settings"
- Click the "Connection" tab, then check the box for "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP"
- Click the "Exchange Proxy Settings" button and fill it out as shown:
- Click Ok, then Apply (you will get a notification that Outlook needs to be restarted), then Ok, then next, then Finish, then close.
- This completes the setup process... Close Outlook, turn off VPN (if it was on), and restart Outlook. You should see a message in the bottom right corner of Outlook telling you its connection status. It may take a minute or two to connect the first time. Once you see "Connected" or "Connected to Microsoft Exchange" and "All Folders are up to date," then Outlook has been configured properly. If you do not see either of these, contact the Help Desk.