Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Password Policy
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lower case characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
Your network password (aka your Kerberos password or Rose-Hulman password) is used to access all services on campus except Banner-INB. These include AFS, DFS, the computers in the Logan Library Public Computing Facility and Olin Tablet classrooms, Email, Banner Web, the Windows Domain and the SSL VPN. Your network password can also be used in personal webpages to authenticate users and in various other services.
Account Expiration Dates
Undergraduate students entering Rose-Hulman will receive a network account which will be valid through August 31 of the year they are anticipated to graduate. The information below shows the expiration date of network accounts:
- The account for Seniors who graduate early will remain active until the next account expiration date
- Students who withdraw from the institute will normally have their accounts disabled 1 week following their withdrawal. The account and all its contents, including email, will be permanently deleted 1 week later, i.e. 2 weeks following the withdrawal date
- Students who leave Rose-Hulman for other reasons will have their accounts dealt with on a case by case basis
- Students who attend Rose-Hulman for more than 4 years will have their accounts extended accordingly
- Extending student accounts beyond the scheduled termination period, after graduation, only occurs for certain
mitigating circumstances, normally related to job searching activities or employment at Rose-Hulman during the summer. However,
this extension will not be longer than the beginning of the next school quarter
- The expiration date for faculty and staff who leave Rose-Hulman is determined by the Human Resources Department
- Retiring faculty and staff may request through Human Resources that they retain an email account on the retiree server
Local Manager or Administrator, Password
The local manager account, .\localmgr, as set up on institute laptops, has administrator privileges. This allows the Local Manager account complete access to everything on the system, including the right to install programs. It is recommended that this account only be used to install programs.
The laptop user account is setup as normal user account. Most programs cannot be installed under this account but the account does have access to most settings and applications on the computer. This is the account recommended for daily use.
Parallel Cluster (Brain)
Information about how to apply for an account on the Parallel Computing Cluster (Brain) can be found here http://www.rose-hulman.edu/class/parallel/HTML/accounts.html