...to provide students with the world's best undergraduate education in engineering,
mathematics, and science in an environment of individual attention and support.
...To be the best in engineering, mathematics and science education; to make an impact upon the world in which we live;
and to be a leader in every aspect in the delivery of education and the development of tomorrow's leaders.
RHIT Guiding Principles
Rose-Hulman puts the student first. We--
- maintain small size, small classes, and individual attention;
- provide active help and a general sense of caring support;
- encourage interaction within the Rose-Hulman community;
- emphasize undergraduate education while maintaining quality programs in graduate and continuing education.
Rose-Hulman fosters the continued growth of all its community members. We--
- stimulate creativity, curiosity, and intellectual excitement;
- promote personal growth in students, faculty, and staff;
- encourage persistence, self-discipline and working to one's potential;
- instill a sense of ethics and personal responsibility;
- practice tolerance and encourage diversity;
- broaden students through a rigorous liberal education;
- prepare students for leadership roles;
- promote scholarship, research, and continual professional growth.
Rose-Hulman provides an opportunity to develop the skills required of the technical professional. We--
- emphasize a systematic, rigorous grounding in fundamentals;
- teach critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- emphasize hands-on experience and real-world projects;
- develop communication, team, and networking skills;
- provide cross-disciplinary experiences;
- encourage entrepreneurial thinking;
- inculcate the habits of professional practice;
- help students obtain undergraduate work experience by assisting them in their
- efforts to acquire summer internships and co-ops;
- assist students in their efforts to find professional employment or further
- educational opportunities upon graduation.
Rose-Hulman seeks continuous improvement in all its programs. We--
- strive to enhance our role as an innovator in technical education;
- integrate cutting edge technology with cutting edge pedagogy;
- continue rigorous assessment efforts;
- provide state-of-the art facilities;
- practice careful stewardship, reducing costs while increasing quality.
Rose-Hulman contributes to society and fosters citizenship and service in its members. We--
- develop an understanding of the impact of science and technology on society;
- encourage students, alumni, faculty, and staff to use their talents for the betterment of society;
- emphasize contributing to the profession and to the body of knowledge;
- play an active role in bettering the community;
- participate in business and academic partnerships;
- foster economic and social development--regional, national, and global.
Rose-Hulman maintains a collegial, collaborative, supportive working environment. We--
- create a work place where everyone feels included, fairly treated, and secure;
- support academic freedom;
- solve problems positively and develop institute policy through consensual methods;
- promote open communication;
- treat everyone equally and with respect;
- support and cooperate with one another;
- encourage innovation and risk-taking;
- expect everyone to contribute to the institute's success;
- retain a sense of humor and remember to have fun.