Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology was founded in 1874 by Chauncey Rose, a pioneer industrialist and entrepreneur who saw the need for broadly educated scientists and engineers to help in the social and economic development of the nation. It was known as Rose Polytechnic Institute until January 6, 1971, when the name was changed to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in recognition of nearly a century of support by the Hulman family of Terre Haute, Indiana, and the re-endowment of the college through the transfer to the school of the entire assets of the Hulman Foundation.
Located two miles east of Terre Haute in a suburban/residential setting, the Institute emphasizes a liberal education in science and engineering and offers programs of study leading to the bachelor of science degree in applied biology, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, engineering physics, economics, mathematics, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, physics, and software engineering. The college also offers programs leading to the master of science degree in some of the above-mentioned areas.
The current enrollment of 1,900 students is drawn from 46 states and many foreign lands. The faculty have been carefully selected for their dedication to undergraduate teaching and interest in individual students and their career preparation in professional disciplines.